Sunday, June 30, 2013

My Life As A Yemoja Priestess - 22 Year Old Obafemi Awolowo University student



Iyalorisa Egbelade Omitonade Ifawemimo is a Yemoja worshipper and a traditionalist. The 22-year-old, who is a 300 level student at the Department of Economics, Obafemi Awolowo University, shares in this interview with Doyin Adeoye of Tribune, her religious beliefs and passion for the indigenous African religion, among other things. Read the interview below;

I was born into the African traditional religion. My father, Chief Olukunmi Omikemi Egbelade is a Yemoja Chief priest as well as a Babalawo. He is the president of all Onisese in Oyo State and although we were not allowed to really get involved when we were young, I was later gradually tutored in it as I grew up, when my parents realised I had passion for it.I practise the African traditional religion and I am a Yemoja worshipper, as well as a Yemoja priestess.
I’m also versed in Ifa and other Orisas, besides Yemoja. I was initiated into the Yemoja religion in 2007 and that was when it fully became my passion.

The initiation experience was a memorable experience that I wish I could do over again. We were in a very dark room called lero for seven days, as the procedures unfolded. I would have loved to experience it again, but unfortunately, one can only get initiated into an orisa once.


I started practicing professionally almost immediately after my initiation. And since then, I advance my knowledge in it at every opportunity. I have a lot of clients that I consult for.

How do you combine being a full-time traditionalist with your education?
It baffles me when most people that practise indigenous religions often opt for Yoruba or African languages as their courses of study in schools. I’m studying Economics to prove to people that being traditionalists does not stop us from being whatever we want to be.
I’m a 300 level student at the Department of Economics, Obafemi Awolowo University and I’m doing just fine. The only thing is I don’t really consult in school.

Who tutors you?
I travel a lot to get more knowledge at my leisure time. I visit Babalawos across different states to learn more about Ifa knowledge.My godfather, who really taught me most of the things I know today, is also a babalawo, he is the Bala Awo Agbaye. He’s Dr. Ifafolarin Agboola, a senior lecturer at the Department of Agricultural Extension and Rural Sociology, OAU.

Judging from the way you adorn your body with beads, do your lecturers condone that?
Initially, I used to have issues with my lecturers, but over time, that changed when they realised that I’m just like every other student.

How is your social life in school?
I have friends and I relate with everybody cordially. I even have a friend that invites her pastors to preach to me and every time they come, I make them understand that just like they appreciate their religion, so do I cherish mine.

So you can’t leave your religion?
Not for anything. This is what I believe in and since it works for me, why would I leave it? I pray and my prayers get answered, so, it is a part I have chosen.

What reactions do you get from your roommates?
I stayed at the Ladoke Akintola Hall during my first year in school.The room was mostly occupied by finalists and I had four roommates, both Muslims and Christians. They reacted negatively to me, first, for being a 100 level student and secondly for who I am.

Many things made us start on the wrong foot, unlike others, the playlist on my phone were often songs about my religion, the way I prayed, the way I chanted when my clients called me on the phone were not things they could easily come to terms with.So they confronted me many times, saying that I was disturbing them, but over time, we became friends.

What religion does your boyfriend practice?
I’m not into a relationship for now, but I used to have a boyfriend who is also a traditionalist. He is a student of the Lead City University. Just like every other relationship with its issues, we later called it quits.

Can you date anyone outside your religion?
I can and I’ve even done it before, but the thing is no matter who I marry, I can never convert, but hopefully, I would prefer to marry a traditionalist.

With the enlightened society, how do you fit in as a young traditionalist?
It’s so unfortunate that people nowadays view traditionalists as bad people and I believe that is because they are not knowledgeable. Your religion does not define you, but rather, your conscience does.Many people want to be my friend in school and many of my friends even approach me for one advice or the other. In recent times, people have come to appreciate us. This is the religion of the Yoruba people and there is no family lineage that has never been involved in traditional religion.

The traditional religion is gradually taking its stand and there are temples all around to show for it. There is the Ijo Orunmila, Somolu, Lagos; Ogundameji Temple, Apata, Ibadan; Osemeji Temple, Oja-Oba, Ibadan and many more.

What religion does your mother practice?
My mother is a Christian.

How does the family balance its religious vein?
My mother despite being a Christian supports me in all I do. She has always been a Christian, while my father has always been a traditionalist. I guess they have both been able to balance it because love conquers all. I have four siblings, but unlike me, they only use the beads on their wrist. Every one has a choice of religion, but of all my siblings, I’m the only one that is really versed in this religion.

One could guess that you don’t eat fish, what other do's and don’ts have you?
Yes, I don’t eat fish, as well as pawpaw. Also, I must always have an item of white clothing on me at any time. I don’t argue or gossip and there are other dos and don’ts which are very personal issues.


Who are your clients?
My clients are home and abroad, including white people. When I consult for people, they don’t tell me what their problem is. Once they come, I would be the one to tell them what is going on with them, depending on what Ifa says.

How do you charge your clients?
I don’t charge my clients, people give at their freewill.

No comments: