Friday, November 19, 2010

UK BASED BAG DESIGNER, FUNMI ADEYERI SPEAKS ON HER PASSION FOR LEATHER

26 year old Funmi Adeyeri CEO of Rebirth line of bags was born and bred in Lagos Nigeria, she moved to the UK about ten years ago. where she obtained a degree in information technology systems from  the university of Sussex, in the united kingdom, after her degree, she became a consultant with IBM logics and banks like Lloyds TSB  , her childhood love for leather was however stronger and she decided to go back to school four years ago to study leather craft in London college of fashion  after which she set up her own line which she calls rebirth .in this chat with city people’s Editor (Quarterly) Bunmi Odunowo at the launch of her new line last year in Lagos she talked about her passion for leather and why she chose the name rebirth


Q what prompted u to go change over from your high paying and corporate job for something like leather craft?

I’ve  always loved leather, my late father had a leather factory in Nigeria about 14 years ago, Madeland leathers in Opebi, lagos but he’s passed on now. So I’ve always loved bags and decided to go back to where it all started, from like the childhood memories of running around with leather everywhere and it was fun, so I started doing bespoke for people so in the last two years I decided to come up with  my own collection and that’s what I’m displaying today.

Q where do you make your bags, where do you source for the leather and how do you make them?

All my bags are made in the UK, and the leather is sourced in Europe and all my bags are handmade, either I make them myself or I have people that work for me and they are all handmade.


Q. How About The Designs, Do You Do That Yourself Too?

I do the design and the making myself, the first few prototypes are made by me, and based on quantity I have people that help me out.

Q So How Has It Been So Far?

Well, I wont say it was hard, because doing bespoke bags is what broke me into the industry, I was doing one off bags, so by the time I came in, because the passion is there, it’s easy for you to ride on the passion.

Q You’ve Been Doing This For How Long Now?

I’ve been in leather for a total of about five years.

Q Your Clientele In UK Would Be Far Different From The Ones You’ll Get Here, Who Are Your Target Audience And What Are Your Expectations Considering The Fact That They Are A Bit On The High Side?

Well I guess it’s a breath of fresh air for people, it’s different, and my bags are luxury bags and that’s in regards of all the efforts that go into it, its handcrafted and I use the finest leathers, if you look at it, the finishing is fine, the lining is great, I source for the finest material so it’s more of a luxury /lifestyle my bags cater for people at different levels, it ranges from 40thousand naira to 200 thousand naira.

Q What schools did you go to here in Nigeria?

 I went to Airforce secondary school, Ikeja and I went to the University of Sussex in the United Kingdom and I studied Information technology Systems

Q so apart from bags what else do you do?

That’s all I do for now, I used to be a project manager and a consultant for IBM logical and Lloyds TSB

Q What kind of person is Funke Adeyeri?

Well I’m just a smily girl, I’m just a happy go lucky

Q how about your family? Are they in the UK too?

Well my family is kind of all around, I’ve got a sister, I’ve family in America, I’ve got family in London and I’ve got family here in Nigeria so we are kind of all over the place, my mum is based in Nigeria.

Q  you are such a pretty girl, with talents and focus, how old are you and who is the man in your life.
I’m 25 years old, and about the man thing, (laughs) I’ll leave that for now, don’t worry you’ll know in good time, I’ll leave that.

Q Is this what you want to do for a long term or do you still have plans to do other stuff?
No, I want to do this only, I see myself in the leather industry for like virtually.

Q where did the name rebirth come from?

The name rebirth came from two things, leather is all about rebirth that’s about the process leather went through, then also it’s a tribute to my dad and having a leather factory and taking it on and bringing the passion back basically.

Q with the launch of your bag, what’s the next step for you? Do you want to relocate to Nigeria?

I’ll be having stockists in Nigeria whom I’ll be talking to in a couple of weeks so people can get my bag from different stores which will be confirmed to people soon. I come back to Nigeria a lot like 4, 5 times a year.

Q what chances do you think you’ll stand with other brands in Nigeria, you know people like the known labels?

I guess every  name has its thing and I’m not competing with anyone, I’m just setting my pace, I’m not in contest with anybody?

Q what’s your fashion statement?

I’m a very simple and chic class kind of person, I don’t work all the time, I’m just a chilled out person and I love to be at home with my friends

Q I can see you have a lot of friends, who are your closest friends?

Well, my family, I’ve got Ifeoma Williams as my friend, I’ve got Yemisi Olagbaiye virtuosso, she does bags also, and I’ve got Yemi Shittu Balogun the marketing consultant for rebirth

No comments: